Illinois Medicare compensates the large amount in health care coverage, but there are gaps which it does not cover and lead to higher bill amounts.
|Deductibles and coinsurance||Excess charge||Items not covered in Medicare|
Medicare supplement insurance is also called as Medisup or Medigap. Original Medicare plan and Medigap policies can together compensate in shares the total health care coverage. Medigap policies are urged to follow Federal and state laws.
Illinois Medicare supplements are useful for the senior citizens above age 65 along with Medicare to share the benefits and the costs which original Medicare plan does not compensate.
Medigap policy is standardized and identified by letters from A to N.
Medigap policies have changed the plans and benefits with effective on or after June 2010.These benefits are useful and offer options to cover the health care cost which original Medicare does not bear.
Medigap policy provided by health insurance companies have to offer Plan A along with any other Medigap policy.
It is not mandatory for insurance companies to offer every plan in standardized Medigap policy i.e. from A through N.
If you are newly relocated to Illinois with Medicare Advantage Plan the contact the insurance agent to know about benefits of the Plan in Illinois. If you want to switch the Plan in Illinois you need to enquire about the rights.
Have you decided to join Illinois Medigap policy?
You must know about benefits and changes in Medicare supplement insurances from June 1, 2010
1) Medigap policies purchased before June 1, 2010 remain unchanged. You can keep those policies active by paying regular premiums, no need to quit the Plans.
2) Medigap policies are ten standardized policies identified by letters A,B,C,D,F,G,K,L,M and N
3) Medigap Policy plans taken on or after June 1, 2010 will benefit the coverage of Plan A coinsurance.
4) Plan K will cover 50% of the cost and 75% by Plan L
5) Plans M and N are new plans offered for sale
6) Plans D and G are different from the previous Plans D and G before June1,2010
7) For those who already bought Plans E,H,I and J can still carry on with these, but from June 1,2010 these plans are not available with insurance companies
8) Medicare supplement insurance companies must offer plan A for sale
9) Medicare supplement insurance companies offering any other Plan must also give either Plan C or Plan F
10) Plan F has a distinguishing high deductible Plan F option
11) All Medigap policies are not available for sale in all states. You will have to find out Medigap policy offered in your state.
A guaranteed right to buy Medigap policy is given during six month enrolment period to every citizen of Illinois with age 65 or above. In this six months enrolment period a Medicare supplement insurance company must sell the policy without any additional charges or reject you to buy any Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan.
You are not eligible for Open enrollment period till you attain the age 65, though you have Medicare coverage B due to Medicare disability. You can also buy Medigap policy if you have a guaranteed issue right.
If you do not have guaranteed issue right and your open enrollment period is over, company may charge you more premium or use medical underwriting.
You are eligible to any Medigap policy in the open enrollment period even if health problems are preexisting at the same cost as for a healthy person
Medigap policy premium cost varies widely depending on the type of Medigap policy you decide to buy. No age related, Entry age related and attained ages related are different types of Medigap policies. There can be large differences in the premium amount for the same benefits and coverage charged by different Medicare supplement insurance companies.
Before you buy, the same Medigap policy must be compared for premium and benefits with other insurance companies. The criteria for cost of premium of the Medigap policy must also be considered.
Discounts are given by the companies based on your pin code, gender, non smoking and also if you and your spouse together buy the Medigap .Some companies do give discounts if you are married or you transfer the premium amount electronically.