If you live in State of Tennessee and are of age 65 or older then you are already enrolled in Medicare.
Original Medicare does not cover all the services; there are gaps in original Medicare.
Tennessee Medicare Supplement insurance plans are the health care insurance policies offered by private insurance companies. They cover the services which Original Medicare does not provide.
Tennessee Medicare Supplement Insurance Plans are also called Tennessee MediGap Insurance. Tennessee Medicare Supplement insurance plans are standardized and identified as letters A through N.
All the standardized Medigap policies give same basic benefits and do not change with the company.
Enrollment in Medicare A and B is mandatory to join any Medicare Supplement insurance policy.
You need to pay a monthly premium for Medigap policy along with the monthly premium for Medicare.
Tennessee Medicare Supplement insurance plans are changed from June 1, 2010 to compensate the gaps in Original Medicare.
1) Medigap policies purchased before June 1, 2010 remain unchanged. You can keep those policies active by paying regular premiums, no need to quit the Plans.
2) Medigap policies in Tennessee for sale are ten standardized policies identified by letters A,B,C,D,F,G,K,L,M and N
3) Medigap Policy plans taken on or after June 1, 2010 will benefit the coverage of Plan A coinsurance.
4) Plan K will cover 50% of the cost and 75% by Plan L
5) Plans M and N are new plans offered for sale
6) Plans D and G are different from the previous Plans D and G before June1,2010
7) For those who already bought Plans E,H,I and J can still carry on with these, but from June 1,2010 these plans are not available with insurance companies
8) Medicare supplement insurance companies must offer plan A for sale
9) Medicare supplement insurance companies offering any other Plan must also give either Plan C or Plan F
10) Plan F has a distinguishing high deductible Plan F option
11) All Medigap policies are not available for sale in all states. You will have to find out Medigap policy offered in your state.
The state of Tennessee offers retired state employees, local government employees and their spouses a health insurance plan called The Tennessee Plan. The Tennessee plan is a Medicare Supplement policy which is standardized with Medigap Plan D. It helps the individual covered with Medicare to fill the gaps in their health coverage which Original Medicare creates. The expenses which come by gaps in Medicare coverage are reduced by joining this plan. The Tennessee Plan has lower premiums and they do not increase with age.
The Tennessee Plan does not cover prescription drugs and hence to reduce prescription drugs expenses the employee of beneficiary needs to enroll in Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage.
For more information you can call 1-800-Medicare.